2380 Bisso Lane, Suite B
Concord, CA 94520
State Record Book Competition
The State Record Book competition is focused on selecting senior 4-H members who have demonstrated a well-rounded 4-H experience. Books are judged against standard criteria. Those books recording the most outstanding 4-H work, goal management skills, and leadership and citizenship development are selected as state medalists and/or state winners.
2019 State Competition Record Books are due to the State 4-H Office by November 1, 2019. County deadlines are earlier-- State Competition submission for Contra Costa County 4-H is Friday, October 25, 2019 at 4PM to the UCCE Contra Costa Office (2380 Bisso Lane, Suite B, Concord).
The State Record Book Evaluation for the 2018-2019 program year will occur between November 2019 and January 2020.
The Purpose of the State 4-H Record Book Competition:
- Provides an incentive to members to keep accurate records in their 4-H Record Book.
- Members receive feedback and encouragement on their 4-H skill development, leadership and citizenship development, and record-keeping skills.
- Members are recognized for outstanding 4-H work.
Eligibility for State Competition
If the criteria for eligibility are not met, a member's book will be disqualified from the competition.
- Age Eligibility: Senior 4-H members (at least 14 years of age and no older than 19 years old by December 31 of the program year for which the book is being entered) are eligible to enter state competition.
- Use of Correct Forms: Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must download and use the most current forms, found on this website. One way to be sure to do this is to always download the latest version of the Record Book Manual and forms from the state website.
Intent to Submit: This form is a recent addition to the State 4-H Record Book Judging Process. Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must complete this form by September 2, 2019, 11:59 pm.
- State 4-H Cover Page - The State 4-H Judging Cover Page must be included with 4-H Record Books entered for State Evaluation. The Cover Page may not be altered.
- County Check Sheet - A county check sheet must be included with 4-H Record Books entered for State Evaluation. 4-H Staff from the County 4-H Cooperative Extension Office, must complete the checklist and ensure the completeness of the 4-H Record Book.
- November 1, 2019 -- 4-H Record Books electronically submitted to State 4-H Office
- November 3, 2019 -- Evaluator’s application deadline
- November 2019 - January 2020 -- State 4-H Record Book Competition
- March 2020 -- Results released, members notified
County 4-H Office Responsibilities
- Ensure a County Check Sheet has been filled out and attached to every book.
- Ensure use of current forms.
- Check the eligibility of each applicant.
- Did the member electronically complete an Intent to Submit form?
- Electronically upload all of the 4-H Record Books to a file share and share with the State Office by November 1, 2019.
These are the 2018-2019 Forms and Manual, which are the materials that will be evaluated in winter 2018/19. Be sure to always use the MOST RECENT forms when submitting your book to State Evaluation.
- All 4-H members entering a record book at the state competition will receive constructive feedback.
- State participation and merit recognition members receive a certificate.
- State winners and medalists receive a certificate and hat pin.
Examples of Completed Record Books
The posted Record Books are a few of the 2015 4-H State Record Book Competition Winners. Each book was judged against the same standards and each has different strengths that merited a Winner Award. Winner status does not mean perfect--it means that the member presented a book that demonstrated enough strength, when tested against the standard, to reach a predetermined benchmark score.
For more information, please visit http://4h.ucanr.edu/Resources/Member_Resources/RecordBook/RBCompetition/StateCompetition/